Thursday, June 30, 2005
Cauliflower and asparagus tart - BBC From Vegan
BBC - Food - Recipes - Cauliflower and asparagus tart:
For the pastry
300g/10oz self-raising wholemeal flour
1 tsp vegan bouillon powder
125ml/4fl oz rapeseed oil
125ml/4fl oz rice milk or soya milk
For the filling
olive oil, for oiling and frying
1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
125g/4oz asparagus, trimmed and washed
2 red onions, chopped
50g/2oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
125g/4oz frozen sweetcorn, mashed
250ml/8fl oz sweetened soya milk
250ml/8fl oz rapeseed oil
1 lime, juice only
2 tbsp porridge oats
2 dessertspoons vegan bouillon powder
2 tbsp vegan tomato sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1. Oil a 30cm/12in flan or pie dish. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
2. To make the pastry, place the flour and bouillon powder in a bowl and rub in the oil, then mix in the milk. Knead the pastry gently for a few moments, then roll out on a floured surface and use it to line the prepared dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until just cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower and asparagus until hot but not cooked - about 4-5 minutes.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and mushrooms until soft. Add the mashed sweetcorn and stir until hot.
5. Heat the soya milk in a saucepan until hot but not boiling. Transfer to a food processor or liquidiser, add the rapeseed oil, season with pepper and mix well. With the machine still running, add the lime juice and mix thoroughly to prevent curdling.
6. Add the oats, bouillon powder, tomato sauce and mustard to the milk mixture and blend again.
7. Oil the inner base of the pie crust, then spread a thin layer of the oat mixture over it. Place a layer of the mushroom mixture on top, then a layer of the cauliflower, followed by the remaining oat mixture.
8. Arrange the asparagus spears on top and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Return the tart to the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
More about this author at Vegan Cookbook